The crisp autumn air has us running to our closets for the coziest sweaters. This season, pair your favorite knits with a skirt for a playful and feminine look. With eternal combinations of texture, contrast and fit, we’ll show you how this look is sure to brighten even the rainiest day.
Play With components
I used to be a cardigan girl if you want to know the truth. I always looked forward to the fall so I could jump online to hunt for those sales and score me some cheap cardigans or sweaters. When you think of autumn, do you immediately think of layering? So do I. As soon as those temperatures dropped, I couldn’t wait to layer! You can layer anything with any cardigan or sweater of any color. The typical cooler shades and earth tones seem to mix together magically, and also let you indulge by piling on all your favorite pieces. Together, a skirt and sweater can provide the awesome basis to incorporate your treasured autumn accessories in a fresh route.
- Have a legwear time. Tights and leggings offer a fantastic opportunity to test with colors, patterns, and lace. If you’ve been reading the Pantone report, imagine the lovely contrast of Airy Blue, Riverside, Aurora Red or dirty Cedar with your basic greys and browns.
- Wear your coveted over-the-knee boots with a miniskirt and enormous knit sweater. Forget the tights with this look and leave a small peek of thigh between skirt and boot.
- Super-thick wool socks can actually make your legs look slimmer. Go bohemian: layer a sweater and longer, flowing skirt with bare legs and large socks bunched up around your ankles.
- Tie a sweater around your shoulders or waist. Wear a preppy sweater around the shoulders with your office outfit of a collared shirt and pencil skirt. Alternatively, a chunky sweater tied around the waist of a skirt gives a warm, casual feel.
- If you love vintage, you probably frequent second-hand stores. Oversized sweaters with extra-long sleeves are in—attempt checking the men’s portion for inexpensive and unexpected finds.
- If you’re doubting the selection of skirts in your wardrobe, go for a dress instead. An uncomplicated cotton tank dress looks cool and laid-back under a large sweater.
Balancing is key
Balance is key. Basically, select the features you want to emphasize and harmonize the look by downplaying other components. This means a short or skin-tight skirt will look acceptable with a heavier, looser sweater. Conversely, the volume of an a-Line or maxi skirt can be offset by a wearing a fitted cardigan or turtleneck. Equilibrium is essential for color and texture as well. A monochrome skirt will balance the bold pattern of a sweater, while a simpler knit sweater will look fantastic with an embellished skirt.
- Attempt a long cardigan. A lengthier style of the cardigan (think mid-thigh or longer) can be paired with a short, slim skirt. Even acceptable if the cardigan hangs past the skirt, and wear it open or unbuttoned for a stylish effect.
- Wear an oversized scarf, wrap or stallion blanket over a fitted black, or another monochrome sweater. A slim top balances the volume of the scarf and will look fantastic with any style of skirt.
- To make your legs look longer, wear a short cropped sweater with a flirty pleated or ballerina skirt that fits up around the waist.
- For the eighties inspired ensemble, embrace the off-the-shoulder sweater trend and add a leather miniskirt, or one embellished with sequins or fringe.
- Look artistic and mellow by wearing a large knit poncho with a corduroy mini and chunky brown boots.
Skirt and Sweater Outfit Ideas
Daytime or evening, feel comfy and look enchanting in a sweater and skirt. Incorporate trends of the season, like open weaves, translucency, florals, metallics and ultra-casual gym sweatshirts. Whether you’re headed to class, an important meeting or a tranquil Sunday brunch, these ideas will put a spring in your stride.
- For a flattering and versatile look, wear an oversized oatmeal-colored knit top with an uncomplicated grey tube skirt and translucent black hosiery or tights. Dress up these neutrals by adding a sparkly statement necklace or tall boots.
- Attempt a turtleneck under your go-to jean jacket. Along with a short A-line skirt and high-heeled ankle boots, this look is girlish and classic.
- Don’t put your sneakers away quite yet– for a sporty streetwear vibe, combine your Adidas with a maxi skirt and bomber jacket.
- Channel your inner fifties babe with a circle skirt and cardigan. Style it with a high ponytail, and your classiest kitten heels or sling backs.
- For date night-time, look playful in an illustration cotton crewneck, along with a leather mini and luminous contrast ankle booties.
- Love critter prints? Wear a sleek critter print skirt with a black sweater and comfy Sherpa-lined boots for casual elegance.
- To look sweet and sensual, get dolled up in a plush cream-colored sweater with a satin skirt in a pastel shade such as blush or light blue.
This winter, give your leggings a break and go for the ease and vogue of a skirt + sweater combo. Are you a miniskirt girl or a queen of the fit-and-flare? Let us know your favorite route to style and accessorize a skirt and sweater.
Whether it’s a light cardigan or an oversized sweater, the fall is the time of the year to reach far back in your closet to see what looks the best to throw on over those skirts and dresses you have been wearing all year long.
Author Bio: Hey y’all!! My name is Robyn and I am a LuLaRoe fashionista. I’m a Louisiana girl living in the high desert (New Mexico!) with my handsome husband and adorable son and baby girl. I am a teacher turned SAHM turned LuLaRoe lover and consultant! Check out my blog and online boutique to fall in love with LuLaRoe as well!
Author: Guest Author
This blog post was written and submitted by a guest author.